Hardie Polymers was originally founded in Glasgow as J&G Hardie Limited and initially supplied the baking industry with all its core ingredients!
Above are photo’s of MD Fergus Hardie’s Great Uncle Jim and also Grandfather Graeme, founders of the business in 1924.
Sometime later, the company were appointed as Sales Agents for the Anchor Chemical company who made Indian rubber substitutes.
In 1961 Anchor formed a Joint Venture with Marbon Chemical of the USA to establish a plant at Grangemouth to make Marbon Cycolac ABS.
ABS was one of the earliest engineering polymers available. ABS started being used in a huge number of applications such as telephones and business machines. Global sales for Cycolac, between 1961 and 1967, jumped as much as 350%, cornering half the market in ABS resins.
Hardies were also closely involved in the 1960’s with the sale of Cycolac to Hoover for their vacuum cleaners. These were manufactured in Cambuslang near Glasgow and also to NCR in Dundee for their early cash register machines.
Cycolac was then acquired by Borg Warner Chemicals, and then sold on again to General Electric (GE) Plastics in 1988. Hardies continued as the Sales Agent for both companies until 1999. (In 2007 GE Plastics was acquired by SABIC from Saudi.)
Hardies continue to offer Cycolac ABS to our customers to this day, also with a vast range of other engineering polymers.
Therefore, give us a call (perhaps not on a phone like this!) on 0141 952 1900 or contact us at [email protected]